Put the pedal to the plastic when The Great LEGO® Race opens Friday, March 23 at LEGOLAND® Florida Resort! The exciting new attraction combines roller coaster thrills with virtual reality (VR) technology for a rollicking race against LEGO minifigures.
It’s the first VR roller coaster experience designed for kids and represents the first time the LEGO brand and minifigures have been integrated with VR technology in a theme park attraction.
With animated action taking place on the ground and in the air, the wild and wacky race pits guests against a pirate, wizard, surfer and pharaoh as they steer LEGO-built vehicles like a rocket-powered windsurfing rig, a stylish scooter fueled by espresso and an ornately canopied bed (called a “litter”) carried by mummy servants.
Wearing optional VR headsets, riders will experience the action from every direction while riding the roller coaster — up, down, forward, backward and all points in between — in a dazzling environment where everything is made of LEGO bricks.
In November, reporters received a sneak preview of the 360-degree adventure during the annual International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions (IAAPA) trade show in Orlando. Here’s what one had to say:
— Banks Lee (@BanksLee) November 15, 2017
Fans can experience a similar preview of the VR adventure with MackMedia’s Coastiality mobile app, available for iOS, Android and Oculus devices from the App Store, Google Play and the Oculus Store. It’s free to download and can be enjoyed with or without a VR headset.
Who can ride?
- Under 42 inches (1.06m): Not tall enough to ride yet! Check out other exciting attractions like AQUAZONE® Wave Racers, Technicycle, Kid Power Towers, The Dragon and LEGO® NINJAGO® The Ride.
- 42-47 inches (1.06m-1.19m): Can ride without the VR headset when accompanied by a responsible rider 14 years or older and at least 48 inches tall (1.21m), who must ride without the VR headset to supervise his or her companion.
- 48 inches (1.21m) and above: Can ride with or without the VR headset if he or she is alone. If he or she is supervising a companion rider 42-47 inches (1.06m-1.19m), both riders cannot wear the VR headset.
- The VR headset is recommended for children ages 6 and up with a minimum height of 48 inches (1.21m).
- Guests in wheelchairs must be able to transfer to the ride vehicle with assistance from a member of their party. While LEGOLAND Model Citizens are happy to assist, they are not permitted to lift guests into or out of a ride vehicle.
Can guests ride the roller coaster without wearing the VR headset?
- Yes. A guest 48 inches (1.21m) or taller can ride with or without the VR headset if he or she is alone. If he or she is supervising a companion rider 42-47 inches (1.06m-1.19m), both riders cannot wear the VR headset.
Will the VR headsets be cleaned between each guest?
- Model Citizens will wipe each headset clean with a sanitizing pad after each use. Headsets will be inspected regularly and replaced as necessary.
Coming soon: Funnel Cake Factory
After crossing the finish line on The Great LEGO Race, guests can switch gears and enjoy an all-new treat at Funnel Cake Factory, which will open this spring just steps away from the roller coaster in the theme park’s LEGO Technic area. The highly themed pit stop will offer freshly made-to-order funnel cakes with toppings including fresh fruit, powdered sugar and soft-serve ice cream.