LEGOLAND® Florida Resort recently took top honors for its 2016 environmental efforts among businesses, nonprofits, municipalities and communities in Florida’s Polk County.
The prestigious Environmental Champion Award from Keep Polk County Beautiful is an annual honor that salutes the business that best exemplifies efforts in areas such as litter prevention, beautification, recycling and pollution prevention. LEGOLAND Florida Resort was recognized for:
- Proactive recycling efforts, including the introduction of 10 brand-new recycling streams in 2016, bringing the site total to 20.
- Increasing the resort’s landfill diversion efforts by 15 percent.
- Identifying ways to proactively conserve energy, which has delivered energy savings equivalent to the annual electricity use of 21 homes.
- Partnering with local utility Tampa Electric to install a 1.8-megawatt canopy of solar energy panels in the resort’s parking lot.
- Installing a charging station for electric and hybrid vehicles at LEGOLAND Hotel.
According to Miguel Velez, waste and environmental supervisor, the resort’s environmental sustainability efforts represent a team effort to find more and better ways to continue being a force for good.